Wednesday 20 June 2012

Burqa and the Bikini

This needs a better title but I can't think of one :(

While I was driving through Dural this sunny morning, they were debating this (again) on the radio. It seriously pissed me off. This has to be quick because I have to study, so it might not make much sense.

Maybe it's not the burqa that's oppressive and maybe it's not the bikini either. Maybe what's oppressive is the discourse itself, the fact that it is so prominent in popular media. I think the population of my high school was greater than the number of people in Australia that wear them!

The debate is always so polarised... "RAH RAH OPPRESSIVE! RAH" or "chiii objectification, sexualisation", but human psychology is complex and nuanced, so please stop assuming you can read exactly what it means to her. We spend too much time attacking symbols and sidelining real feminist issues (yes Jess, they DO exist... sigh). If you ask me, they're both essentially two sides of the same coin. One side looks at woman as an object (sometimes) and and the other is essentially the same but shrouded in mystery, given a forbidden fruit-esque treatment. It should be more obvious to people that there's a lot more to a woman than her body or what she puts on it. Oh, and I really hate it when right wing people pretend feminism is really the reason they don't like the burqa. Bitch please!

P.S. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY'RE MAKING JACKFRUIT PAYASAM ON MASTERCHEF AND I AM GOING TO BURST WITH EXCITEMENT! It's for a Tamil wedding. Unsurprisingly, some of the derr-brained comments from the contestants are making my skin crawl: "this is such a cultural event, it's so beautiful"......................... WTF does that even mean?? Sigh, they're well meaning I guess.

P.P.S. Just read over the :)! post, definitely wasn't entertained. MORE WTF