Saturday 10 November 2012

manifesto!

 I have around a week till my exams are finished. I had plans to intern with Navdanya, Vandana Shiva's seed farm but because the people that work there are inefficient turds so that ain't happening no mo'. My heart shattered into itty bitty pieces when this realisation dawned on me. Here is the exact image from my pipe dreams of how I'd spend my days:


It resonated with me in every way possible: it's quiet, removed from my life, I love mountains, the institution itself is spectacular and corresponds in every way with my own ethical and philosophical (Gandhi-esque) convictions.

BUT NOW I'm a bit shitty at Destiny for having dangled the dream before my nose, then cruelly snatching it away. I'm going to make believe that I'm there, sit in my room this summer with some chai and this picture in front of me,


and read books.

And paint.

This post is rambling and silly. It's about two excellent days I've spent in the recent past that have just been so refreshing after endless essay-writing in the last month.

On Thursday I spent the day with a girl who lives down my street and among many fascinating things, we spent a lot of time discussing art. I guess I talk about art with a lot of my friends but I've finally found someone whose sensibilities completely resonate with my own and more importantly, we spent lots of time discussing art making. It was a good day.

 The day following that, after not finishing my essay (again) I went to Chanel's spectacular Little Black Jacket exhibition with Annie. We wandered through the Rocks markets, bought some strange macarons and cake. The bar we were going to for Dasha's birthday was full so we ended up in the Lansdowne (classy, eh? but FUN!), where we had dinner and drinks. In search of dessert, we gallivanted around Newtown where I nearly got run over by an ambulance (oh the irony!) decided on gelato and for lack of anything better to do, went to sit in Victoria Park. At this point Dasha and Saro disappeared somewhere. It was midnight and we lay down tired, giggling, gossiping, arguing for around twenty minutes about stupid things. It was so exhilarating! One of  the many jewels that studded our conversation:
J: see that huge star there?
A: that's a lamp post.
In retrospect, this is not really so funny but for some reason, at the time it was. We laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. At one point it wasn't even about the joke any more, so much as laughing at ourselves for laughing so long. We had sparklers left over from the cake, got over-excited and pretended to be Harry Potter characters, scarily all knew the lines exactly. It was great. We also pretended to be fairies running and twirling, nearly setting fire to ourselves because we were a little inebriated after all.

 Then I went home.

End of story, didn't really have a point eh. Yes, it did!! It's made me want to paint again for the first time in more than a year! yay! I'm going to paint that very scene.